Friday, July 29, 2011

Housekeeping

Just a few quick housekeeping notes.

1) I changed the blog logo to the new logo provided for Space: 1889 and Beyond by Untreed Reads. What do you think?

2) I added a link to the Highlander Studios blog, so you can check on progress of the minitures independently. I'll still provide periodic major updates, but Rod has more work-in-progress shots available there.

3) I have been pounding the keyboard very seriously of late to get A Prince of Mars done ahead of schedule for Untreed Reads. I'm about three good writing days away from having it in the can, and I'm very happy with what I've come up with.

Among other things, I have a much improved take on Martian kites, which I will share with you soon.
The problem with the kites (sail-powered flying ships) is that, if you stop to think about it, there's no way a sail-driven flying ship can do anything but drift down-wind at the speed of the wind -- no faster, no slower, and no turning allowed. The sails don't add anything to its speed and there is no way to make it go any other direction.

Until now. Bwaa-haa-haa! (They laughed at my theories at Heidelburg. They said I was mad.)

But you'll have to wait a few days for a complete explanation.

4 comments:

  1. Never was a problem with kites. One assumes that liftwood's countergravitical effects comes with the same drag effect as water and sailing boats and Bob's Your Uncle. Problem solved. (It also helps to stop your clever clog players from inventing perpetual motion machines).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, that's an interesting and usefull assumption, but it is not explicit in the game. I could, although I suspect it has other implications as well, but the truth is I like my alternative solution a lot. :^)

    ReplyDelete